Saturday, October 16, 2010

Sports and competition

Fact: I am a person that hates, and I mean absolutely HATES competition and contention.

Now let me explain just a little. I think there are very healthy forms and quite necessary forms of competition out there. Personally, I never fair well in any competition because I get too nervous, and lets admit it in sports I either get so heated that I want to yell for hours and rip someone's head off or so overwhelmed that I just want to sit down and cry.

I just came home from a Dodgeball Competition put on by some students as a project for there class. They set it up for 20 teams to play against each other. I wasn't originally going to go because of the Matinee, but it got done earlier then I thought, so I decided to walk over and hope that Tyler was already done. To my dismay they were not.

The initial idea for the project I'm sure was a good one. I would've thought it would be a fun way to complete something for a grade. But of course it turns into a heated yelling/whining competition. I mean seriously there was NO fun being had by any of the participants. Everyone was just yelling at the other teams and whining about who was out, or who stepped over the line, or who was holding the ball for too long.

I guess I just don't understand why people 'enjoy' those things. Does anyone walk away a better person after those events? I would venture to say in this case--No!

I just don't see how something that brings out such selfishness and pride in people who probably are very kind and trying to live their life the best they can could be considered good.

I ended up watching one round, and after the finished I got up and told Tyler I couldn't stay. I walked out of the building and just wanted to sit down and cry because I was just so overwhelmed by the whole thing. Granted I can go WAY overboard in my thinking i.e. that a ball would fly and hit me in the face and break my nose and give me a black eye and then a huge fight would break out because Tyler would be so pissed at whoever threw the ball. And then one team after another jumps in and before you know it the whole court it in a full on brawl. I know over-exaggerating I know but that's just what goes through my head.

Anyways, food for thought.

3 comments:

  1. Ok so ive been too busy recently to watch any of tyler's games and im glad because it keeps me from getting worked up! so about dodgeball lol! i'm sorry im the worst!!!! i didn't want to even go in the first place but people are just ridiculous. Right after you left our boys ended up playing a really respectable team and it went so smoothly. Its a completely different story when you have healthy competition and honest players. Sorry if i made you cry :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahah lans don't even worry, it wasn't you. It was the situation in general. And I'm just the wimp that can't stand it. Plus this is something I've been nagging Tyler about for a long time and of course he doesn't really agree with me so I just wanted to vent somewhere else :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen those purple signs! I'll cross my fingers that the next time that craving strikes it will be saturday morning :)

    So funny that you know amy. we went to high school together. i love her.

    AND i saw you (well, the animals, on your day) in the magic flute and I thought the production was fantastic!

    ReplyDelete