
Spanish Fork High School-the place I spent the majority of my time now. So much so that Sunday night Tyler and I have had an on going joke where we kiss each other goodnight and say "See you Friday!" :)
And for those of you who don't know what a Don is (don't worry I didn't either), it's like a not as cool version of Zorro.
We both have been very busy with the start of the new school year. Tyler is doing student council, yearbook, and coaching the freshman basketball team, on top of his everyday history classes. The student council has already had a dance for the beginning of the school year with an accompanied spirit week. This week they auditioned a bunch of students for the school talent show which will be coming up. One Friday he took the yearbook staff to a district meeting to teach them what to do. And in the coming weeks off season practice for the basketball team starts :) Oh and did I mention that he is the new 2nd counselor in the bishopric of the BYU YSA 33rd ward?? So Sundays he's gone all day too :)
He sure is a busy man. But he's loving everything.
As for me, I am A-B-S-O-L-U-T-E-L-Y loving student teaching! I thought that it would be a really difficult experience, and while I've had my days that aren't so great, the majority of my days have been awesome. I've learned so much already, and my cooperating teacher and I get along so well! It's better than I could have ever hoped for.
Its been a great feeling to be able to connect with students and be in the classroom. And everyday I learn something that can make me a better teacher. It is so rewarding to plan lessons and really see how each choir progresses in the sound, and to realize that I actually am good at this and I really do know how to help them get better. We have a week and a half left before our first concert, and I think that we are well on our way to making it a great concert.
And the students are great! It is a smaller school, around 1,100 students. My biggest choir is 50 students, which compared to my freshman women's chorus in high school is nothing. I'm pretty sure there were around 100 of us. It is interesting because I'm really not that much older than my juniors and seniors. One of my student's older sisters is my friend. So the fact that I really could be some of their older sisters is funny, but I don't think they look at me that way. They are respectful and funny. I love when I see them in the hallways and they say hi to me.
I haven't had any really funny stories yet. The basses in one of the choirs are hilarious, and a lot of them are the major athletes from the school. It is their first time in choir and they are the nicest guys. One of the senior baseball players who is wanted in the pro's already is the size of my brother Kainoa. He is 17. Kainoa is 25.
If you can't tell, I'm loving student teaching. And that's no lie. Even the days that I feel like my lessons didn't go well, I still am grateful for all the time I get to spend at this school. It's great to finally be applying the things that I've studied.
I am also a TA for University Chorale this semester. My professor went out of town this week, so one of the rehearsals was left to me and the other Music Ed. majors in the class, and that was a great experience to rehearse with them.
What a change it has been to be busy again from such a relaxed summer. But it is great and I love to be productive.
The student ward is interesting to be back in. It is a great learning experience for Tyler, but for me it'll take a couple more weeks (at least) to feel at home their. Right now I just feel like the awkward wife that has to come. It is exciting to have all the single activities again though. Drive-in movie FHE. Ward Hike. Ward corn maze trip. It'll be fun!
A couple of weeks ago I got the chance to go to my old roommate Ma'ila's wedding down in AZ. It was SOOOOOOOOOO much fun to have all the roommates together again. We had a blast catching up, and being able to be in such a beautiful wedding. Honestly, every detail was amazing!!
We bought another car. It's a junker. For real. 95 Toyota Corolla. It get's great gas mileage so we are happy to have it. And we think we'll be able to make our money back on it when we try to sell it.
We are hoping to go down to CA for fall break in a couple of weeks. Tyler really wants to see Riley play in one of his football games.
Last bit of exciting news, Tyler got his diploma in the mail. He is an official BYU alumni!
Sorry for the not so exciting post, but that's what is going on in our life.
No comments:
Post a Comment