Friday, January 27, 2012

Graduation and Student Teaching

Wow. I know that it has been a looooong time since I've blogged, and believe me Tyler bugs me all the time about when I'm going to. But soon enough you'll know one of the reasons why, other than the fact that life was SO busy during my last semester.

Our days were packed tight from morning until night. We were out the door by 7 in the morning and sometimes didn't get home until 7 at night. Tyler was/is coaching the freshman basketball team (which he ABSOLUTELY loves) and believe it or not I love going to the games and watching the boys play. Anyways he would have practice until 5:30. Depending on the day I would leave school and go straight to campus for seminar or chorale which was also until 5:30. After which, since we only had one car, I would drive down and pick Tyler up from Payson and we would make our way home. Then add the fact that Tyler is in the bishopric and he would have meetings or activities that we would go to. Yeah, it was crazy. Sometimes Saturday would come and even though we should do all the things that we couldn't get to in the week, we wouldn't because we were just so exhausted.

Student Teaching was probably one of the best experiences of my entire education. It was such a solidifying moment to see that all the years you spent in college turned out to be the right choice. To know that 1. I am suppose to do this 2. I enjoy doing this and would have a great life with this career and 3. I'm good at this!

My students were the best, and my cooperating teacher taught me so much. And the only time that I got really emotional was at our last concert when I was conducting for the last time and it hit me that these past 4 months flew by and I would no longer see these faces everyday. The students were so cute, after we finished our piece and we went to sit down all the big football players walked by me and gave me a high five and told me that they'd miss me. One student put together a folder of thank you letters for all the students. And of course they gave me some chocolate :)

The day after I finished I actually felt weird. I realized that I had no assignments to work on, no tests to study for, no classes I needed to go to. For the first time in years I didn't have to do the things that I always did.

All my fellow choral friends have been asking me, "So what are you doing now?" I always kind of chuckle. December is a bad time to graduate for an education major because there are usually no jobs open. So I applied and am now substitute teaching for the same school district, and what an adventure its been. Walking into a different classroom everyday, not knowing the students, not know how the teacher runs their class, its a bit of a challenge. But my favorite moment so far is at the end of the day with a 6th grade elementary class and one of the rowdiest boys of the day asks,

Boy-"Will you be here tomorrow?"
Me-"No."
Boy-"Why not!?!"
Me-"Because I'm a s-u-b-s-t-i-t-u-t-e teacher, you're real teacher will be back tomorrow."
Boy-"Aw man! I really liked you as our teacher."

I laughed and smiled because it was another one of those moments when I know I chose the right profession. Students and kids really do like me, even if I'm with them for only one day.

So now with no school and just subbing, life has slowed down for me a bit. But believe me when I say I know that they will be picking up again soon :) We're looking for jobs in VA and CA and are really hoping to move this summer, so wish us luck and let us know if you hear of any jobs!

(Sorry for the long post with no pictures, but get ready because more posts like this are coming)

No comments:

Post a Comment