
We told our immediate families the news that night, and the next day. We waited to tell extended family and friends until Christmas (the 15 week mark). Then lastly to wait to put things on the internet until we knew the gender (the 20 week mark). I know, a little old fashioned with most people just posting their positive pregnancy tests on Facebook after they take them these days, but we are happy with the way we let things unfold.
One benefit of all the months of trying, talking to friends and family members, and writing a paper myself on prenatal care, is that we knew the route we wanted to take even before we got pregnant.
Note: I know that I am a minority in the things that I'm about to write. I do NOT hold others to the beliefs, standards, and decisions that I've made for myself NOR do I judge others for their choices. I think that pregnancy, birth, and prenatal care are very personal choices, and women and couples should do what they feel is best and that they are most comfortable with.

One benefit of all the months of trying, talking to friends and family members, and writing a paper myself on prenatal care, is that we knew the route we wanted to take even before we got pregnant.
Note: I know that I am a minority in the things that I'm about to write. I do NOT hold others to the beliefs, standards, and decisions that I've made for myself NOR do I judge others for their choices. I think that pregnancy, birth, and prenatal care are very personal choices, and women and couples should do what they feel is best and that they are most comfortable with.
With our little boy on the way, we have chosen to use the skills and knowledge of a Certified Nurse Midwide (CNM) at Better Birth, instead of an OBGYN. I have chosen to have a natural birth with no medical intervention (of course if complications arise we will do what is needed). And we will welcome our son into the world in a birthing center called Bella Natal Birth Suites (pictures here), which is next door to Better Birth, instead of a hospital.

I know at this point I'm sure you are thinking, WEIRDO! Is she CRAZY!?! Not ONLY does she want to go natural, BUT not have the baby in a hospital EITHER. So let me explain myself a little :)
When we decided to start trying to get pregnant, I wanted to research my options in prenatal care. I just wanted to have all the information I could (for those who know me well, know that's how I make most of my decisions) so that I could make the best decision for myself, my husband, and my baby.
Why a CNM?
I won't go into all the information I found during my research, but here are some of the things that helped me make my decision:
- CNMs handle more natural births (are trained for it and medicated births and how to help you through it) than OBs
- CNMs likewise hold a more holistic approach to birth, which fits with our 'hippie' medicinal choices
- Having been to appointments with both, the OB made me feel rushed and that I wasn't allowed to ask more questions than he had time in our allotted appointment to answer. The CNM spent has much time as I needed to answer all my questions and comfort my concerns (I know that this isn't the case with all OBs or all CNMs but that was my experience)
- Consequently, I felt that a CNM would really listen to me, my concerns, and what I actually will feel going on in my body during birth and work WITH me to do what is best for me, the baby, and my body
Like I said above, I want to be as informed as I can about everything I do in life, and I felt a CNM would provide me the best experience with this standard I have for myself and give me all the information I wanted and needed.
Why a Natural Birth?
I truly believe that our bodies are such profound and wonderful creations. I know that Heavenly Father made women's bodies so that we can handle birth (and of course there are extenuating circumstances that happen and precautions and actions have to be taken accordingly). I know it will be painful and hard, but I also believe that with the right preparation and mind set I will be able to manage the pain and birth. I also believe that it's the hard things in life that produce the greatest rewards.
Also, in my research I learned that medical interventions of epidurals, pitocin, and other drugs prevent mother's from feeling the full effect of the natural hormones that are released in their bodies after birth. These hormones help women to bond with the baby (of course you still bond with the baby with medication, but without it you really feel the effects of the hormones that are released). Also, the oxytocin levels in a women's body after giving birth are the highest they will ever be (until she gives birth again) and I wouldn't want to miss that! I also want to be awake and alert during and after birth. Drugs can make a woman groggy and unable to move because of the numbness they provide, and that's not what I want.
Lastly, I again am under no facade that birth will be easy. I'm taking classes to prepare and give myself the tools I need to handle the pain. However, my belief is that when it's over--it's over! And then I will get to enjoy having this beautiful baby in my arms, and I won't even be thinking about the pain I just went through. As is beautifully put in John 16:21 "A awoman when she is in travail hath sorrow, because her hour is come: but as soon as she is delivered of the child, she remembereth no more the anguish, for joy that a man is born into the world."
Why a Birthing Center?
Honestly, because hospitals are expensive. I'm not trying to sound cheap, but they are! We have insurance through Tyler's job and after we did our research we found that the minimum amount we would pay to have our baby with an OB (our insurance doesn't cover CNMs at Better Birth) in a hospital was at least $7000. At the birthing center with a CNM we are paying under $2500. Of course we will take the necessary measures and spend the necessary money to insure that baby and I are okay. However, a CNM would tell you if they thought you had a high risk pregnancy and needed to birth in a hospital. I have no medical history that indicates a high risk pregnancy, and my pregnancy thus far has been progressing perfectly. And if there are any unforeseeable complications that arise during birth that a CNM needs an OBGYN to help, there is a hospital less than 2 miles away. It takes 5 minutes to get there according to google maps :)
Another reason, is because I absolutely LOVED the atmosphere. We went for a tour, and it just felt right. We were so comfortable there. It looks like a home, but has all the necessities to insure a safe birth. They have a nice big tub for me to labor and birth(if I decide to) in. They have a queen bed for Tyler and me, and a cute bassinet for the baby if we aren't holding him. They have a kitchen fully stocked with food for us to have before and after birth, or we can bring our own food. (Which is another thing I loved--that they encourage women to eat during labor.) They have a beautiful patio for me to walk around, if I want/can during labor. And a TV room with movies for guests to watch while they wait. Overall, it just felt so warm and cozy to us, and a wonderful place to welcome our child into the world in.
If you have any questions about anything mentioned, let me know. I'm more than willing to share my research or point you in the direction of where to find more information.
Again, we are SO excited for this little boy to come, and are trying to make the best decisions that feel right to us :)
PS. the picture journals I'm about to post is an idea I stole and want to give credit to Paige Anderson
Aimoku! I love your blog. I love everything that you posted about your journey and decisions. Congratulations! Your little boy is going to be so loved and adored. Even though I haven't had my baby yet, I think I am already ready to try a different route next time (instead of an OB and hospital, hoping for a natural birth). And if we are still in Provo, I will definitely want your input.
ReplyDeleteI don't know you, but I saw a link to your blog on FB and I just wanted to say good for you!!! I loved this post and completely agree with you--a woman's body is made to give birth! I had a natural birth a year ago and loved it--I hope all goes well for you and your family!
ReplyDeleteAimoku I am so happy you want to have a natural pregnancy , birth, and prenatal, I have planning on the same and now I have you to back me up with the fam!:)
ReplyDelete