Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Adventures of Reading

Tyler and I set a New Year's Resolution to read our scriptures together every night. We have done really well with this, our only trip up is that when the weekend roles around we usually end up reading 3 chapters on Sunday because we forgot to on Friday and Saturday.

Anyways, though it has been really enlightening and spiritually bonding to read them together there is another (fun or should I say funny) part of reading them together.

And that is seeing how Tyler pronounces things. I am no English major nor an expert in speech. Regardless it is funny.

Examples:

Cease, he pronounces Seize.
Lasciviousness, he pronounces Lavishness.
He says Messiah funny but I can't remember, nor spell how he does it.

In his defense, I think the part of his life that he spent the most time reading the scriptures was on his mission, in another language. So I can see how it would be difficult.

But the best was last night! We were reading in Alma when it talks of Mosiah's son going and preaching to the Lamanites. And the story of King Lamoni-pronounced Luh-moh-nigh-correct?

Well Tyler reads the name first and pronounces it, King Luh-moh-nee, like the 'i' in macaroni. I naturally start chuckling to myself, and he of course takes his slightly defensive stance, 'what this time?' I tell him that I think its Luh-moh-nigh, not luh-moh-nee. He starts laughing as well when he realizes his mistake.

Oh the adventures of reading the scriptures together! It may not be as funny to you, but I think it is and that its adorable. Can't wait to add kids to the mix and the funny stories they will bring (Not an announcement of pregnancy, fyi).

No comments:

Post a Comment