Once my guess date came and went, we were of course anxious to have this baby come. The idea that "he could come any day!" was not enticing anymore. We tried everything. And man do I mean everything. I ate all those foods they say induce birth-pineapple, Chinese food, balsamic vinegar, and more. I had been taking Evening Primrose Oil Capsules to help ripen the cervix. We went on long walks every day, and even jogged some. We walked up and down stairs. We went on bike rides and bumpy car rides. I went and got acupuncture, chiropractic adjustment, and a massage where she focused on pressure points. And the list goes on and on. Nothing was working.Needless to say when we made it to our 41 week appointment we were a whole plethora of emotions. The midwives had told us if we made it to that appointment they would then tell us what could be done to get things started. I was worried they were just going to list off all the things that we had already been doing for weeks. Luckily, they had some other ideas :)
The midwife told us that she could insert a foley catheter between the bottom of my uterus and top of my cervix. She said that this would dilate me to 4 cm and then fall out. She also strongly informed us that this most likely would not start birth. It would definitely dilate me, but after the catheter fell out pressure waves (contractions) may or may not continue. She said that we should call after it fell out (which could be anywhere from two hours to overnight) and then we would come in and they would stretch and sweep, aka strip my membranes.
So she first checked to see if I was dilated or effaced at all. I was 60% effaced, but only 1.5 cm dilated....bummer.
So she put the catheter in (all the while telling us over and over again that his head was right there) and explained I would feel cramps/pressure waves since I was dilating, but they would probably stop after it fell out. (Tyler was excited to assist her with the catheter and in his own words, "help fill up the water balloon")
They then did a non-stress test (man am I glad I didn't have to be hooked up to that machine during birth, it was annoying!) and during it I felt several pressure waves. Nothing too strong, but I knew they were the real thing, but I also thought they would probably stop.
Everything went well with the non-stress test and we left the birthing center and went home at around 12:30pm. My mom and Tyler suggested I go for a walk or something to help things along. But I knew that I did not want to do anything, but go in my room and focus on relaxing because I was already feeling like birth was going to start soon. So I did just that. Now, I did not vocalize this point to my mom and Tyler so neither of them were very attentive or concerned (Case in point, I had to go outside and call Tyler in to be with me because he decided that he wanted to chat up the neighbor about bikes and who knows what else). After calling him in I listened to a HypnoBabies track, and afterwards we had lunch (I woke up asking if we could have J-Dawgs for lunch, which I never crave and later during birth would regret having eaten). I was still feeling pressure waves on and off during lunch.
After lunch I laid down to take a nap because I was feeling tired. After my nap Tyler came in and I said that I wanted to start timing the pressure waves because I felt like they were getting stronger, longer, and closer together. This was around 4:30ish. After timing them for a half hour, they were consistently 5 minutes apart and 1 minute long. He decided to call the midwives to let them know. They told us to continue tracking them and let them know if they got to 3 minutes apart and over a minute long. They also were asking about the intensity and if I could talk during them, but using my HypnoBabies tools I wasn't sure of the intensity with the talking measurement because I didn't talk through them I just focused on relaxing and would close my eyes.
We decided to stop timing them and let me rest for a little while. I listened to an hour long HypnoBabies track, and felt some pressure waves during it, but I was so focused that I didn't know how many nor how long they were.
When I was finished listening to the track, we started timing again, and they were now around 3 minutes apart and 1.5 minutes long, and they were definitely stronger. Let me just say here, I really wasn't in pain. Yes they were uncomfortable, but NOT painful. I thank HypnoBabies for helping me to have that expectation of only feeling discomfort and not pain. One of the things that I really liked doing during pressure waves was humming and vocalizing with an "Ahhhh". I always knew that I would not be one to be completely silent during pressure waves and that I would use my voice to help me relax, especially since I am a singer.
Tyler had been great at reminding me to drink, and so I got up to go the bathroom and the catheter fell out. Now to be honest, I was a little worried. I thought, man if this is what it takes to get to 4 cm, how much more intense can things get to get me to 10 cm??? At this point, I just laid down on the bathroom floor and knew that I wouldn't leave it until we were headed to the birthing center (Tyler graciously offered his pillow to let me put on the bathroom floor, which after all was said and done, he realized that he did not appreciate it and thought it was quite disgusting)
The midwife called to check in on how things were going at about 7:30pm. Tyler told her the catheter had fallen out and that pressure waves had picked up to the timing they said. She asked again what the intensity was like, and Tyler said that he thought they were pretty intense, but that's all he could say. She said they had just finished another birth in their Salt Lake facility and were headed down to Orem, so we could meet up at the birthing center at 8:30. Tyler said ok and that we would call if anything changed.
Well, only a few minutes later at around 7:40 I told Tyler that I felt like I wanted to push (granted I wasn't sure what wanting to push felt like so the only way I could describe it, especially to Tyler, was that I needed to poop). And with those words he KNEW we needed to get in the car because there was no way we were having this baby at home or in transit. So he called the midwife back, my mom packed up some clothes and things for me, the midwife said that they were still on their way, but there would be another midwife there so just head over and try not to push. HA! Like that was easy?!?
So we left the house at 8, and in the car I had two pressure waves that I pretty much just sang on AH and exhaled strongly to resist the urge to push. Meanwhile my mom was in the backseat also breathing rhythmically hoping that it would help me not have the baby in the car and honestly to keep her own self calm. (After the whole experience was over, Tyler told me how the whole car ride, and especially with the two pressures waves, he was strategizing on how he was going to be able to deliver the baby in the car) We got to the birthing center and they said that the tub was going to take 20 minutes to fill up. So I bee-lined to the bed and they checked to see how much I had dilated. Tyler told them not to tell me, but I asked if it was ok if I pushed and they said yes, so I knew I must have been at 10 cm.
I only pushed a little during two pressure waves on the bed because I really wanted to wait to get in the water. My water broke on the second push, but only Tyler and I noticed. After that they said the tub was ready. I got in, and the water was so warm. I was sweating so much that they got some ice cold towels for me to put on my neck. Tyler was still coaching me and helping me so much. And the water amazingly took away all pressure sensations (also known as contractions), and all I could feel was Kaiewa's head coming down. I was positioned on my hands and knees at first, but later switched positions to where I was only on my knees and was leaning against the tub. I really liked the second position and it helped pushing be easy. I'm glad I did not have to be on my back with my legs in stirrups and work against gravity. I pushed probably 3 more times, and he was out!! (During the pushes, I really just focused on breathing, and I loved that the midwives didn't tell me what to do, but just let me focus on doing what felt right for me. There was no counting or telling me to hold my breath aka purple pushing)
The midwife said reach down and pick up your baby, and I put him directly on my chest. It was 8:47pm. Everything happened so quickly that I was a little in shock that I was actually holding my son. But I will never forget the wonderful feelings and emotions of having him there with me.
We waited for the cord to stop pulsing, and then Tyler cut it. And maybe 5 minutes after Kaiewa came, I pushed a little and the placenta came.
And just like I thought, even though I wouldn't call birth a walk in the park, it was manageable, and as said in John 16:21 "A awoman when she is in travail hath sorrow, because her hour is come: but as soon as she is delivered of the child, she remembereth no more the anguish, for joy that a man is born into the world." And truly I was only focused on having my son in my arms and nothing else.
Everything turned out exactly the way it was suppose to. Of course I didn't love going 9 days over, but for whatever reason my body and Kaiewa needed that time. The midwives were AWESOME! Tyler and my mom were such great helps. The tools I learned in HypnoBabies truly worked. And overall, my birthing experience was everything I had envisioned and more!
Here is a cute little picture of Kaiewa after we gave him his first bath.
No comments:
Post a Comment